Richard Barker has acted for farmers, landowners and agricultural corporations and private and Governmental Bodies for over thirty years. His wide experience combined with his commitment to his clients and coupled with his detailed understanding of the policies and legislation of the EU, give him a unique ability to solve client’s problems often with the support of the EC Commission Brussels. Clients also benefit from Richard’s tax and trust experience and he remains a trustee of many large landed estates.
He spends a significant amount of time in Brussels and works closely with the Commission. He is a member of Team Europe, a Commission appointment.
Richard has a nationally regarded niche practice, specialising in issues concerning the Common Agricultural Policy, its policies and its practise and has a particular expertise in the application of the State Aid legislation to agricultural products.
Recent cases include:
- Successfully arguing that a planning condition and a section 106 Agreement in the UK were invalid as breaching the legislation relating to the free movement of goods
- Resolving partnership disputes of agricultural estates worth in excess of £30 million
- Resolving disputes over crop failures
- Resolving disputes with DEFRA over subsidiary payments, often with the support of the EC Commission Brussels
- Being involved in a challenge to the English Cross Compliance Rules, resulting in an appearance before the European Court of Justice
- Successfully challenging DEFRA on their policy for testing for TB in cattle
- Advising the agricultural and horticultural development Board and the Welsh Assembly on issues of state aid in agriculture
‘He takes his instructions seriously and acts in a timely and highly effective way’.
‘Richard has long been applauded by two influential legal directories, Chambers & Partners and Legal 500′.
Legal 500 2012 says:
‘Consultant Richard Barker at Barker Gotelee is a longstanding, proactive spokesperson for the firm’s many agricultural clients at EU level, and also advises government agencies on evolving CAP policies.’
Chambers and Partners says:
‘He is praised for his knowledge of European law and policy on rural development and the agri food industry’.
Solicitors Ipswich Suffolk – for more information on our range of legal services, please contact us