Ann-Marie attended Aberystwyth University in Wales in 1998, studying Law and Business, and graduated in 2001 when she then went to law school. She qualified from the College of Law in Chester in 2002, after which she joined a firm of solicitors in Suffolk where she completed her training, qualifying in 2004. Ann-Marie previously held the roles of head of the private client team and partner, before joining Barker Gotelee in 2016 as an associate solicitor.
Ann-Marie specialises in all areas of Private Client law including:
- Wills, succession and asset protection
- Lasting Powers of Attorney
- Care fees planning and all aspects of NHS and social care funding
- Inheritance tax planning
- The creation and administration of trusts
- Elderly client care
- Court of Protection work including Deputyship applications and ongoing administration of Deputyships; and
- Probate and Administration of estates after death
Ann-Marie has a particular specialism in relation to Universal Wealth Preservation and other “Asset Protection” Trusts and has advised clients and solicitors across the country in relation to:
- removing trustees who are no longer acting and are uncontactable
- assigning properties into the names of trustees chosen by clients
- advice on advantages and disadvantages of trusts and whether the clients aims are likely to be achieved by the trusts
- advice on tax consequences as a result of lifetime trusts
Ann-Marie is a full member of both the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners and Solicitors for the Elderly. She is also a registered Dementia Friend and a member of Action for Elder Abuse. Ann-Marie has taken the pledge to become a Dignity Champion, working to achieve care services which are compassionate and person centred, as well as efficient.
Legal 500 2020
Rising Star Ann-Marie Matthews is highly recommended. ‘Ann-Marie Matthews is diligent, punctual, extremely good at explaining complex concepts to those with little or no knowledge, and very personable. Her knowledge of the financial side of clients’ affairs is exceptional.’
Legal 500 2018/19
“‘Caring, passionate’ STEP-qualified associate Ann-Marie Matthews is ‘excellent, very efficient’.”
Legal 500 2017
Clients of Barker Gotelee note the firm’s ability to provide ‘prompt and concise advice’ and highlight the ‘excellent support and attention to detail’ provided by associate Ann-Marie Matthews.
01473 350574 or 07718 209890