Family Solicitors FAQs

Family Solicitors FAQs Icon

Our team of family solicitors have extensive experience of dealing with a wide range of legal issues affecting families. No matter how complicated your circumstances may seem, our family solicitors can help you come to a solution that works for your family.

What do family solicitors do?

Family solicitors are there to assist people with all types of family law related issues. The role of family solicitors is rather varied and they will be able to help with a wide variety of issues, including house transfers or potential relocations with children.

Predominately family solicitors are there to advise and assist couples on the following issues:

  • Divorce and ending Civil Partnerships
  • Financial settlements
  • Separation agreements
  • Prenuptial agreements
  • Children’s matters including contact and residence

My partner and I have agreed to a divorce and we have agreed how to arrange the finances and childcare – do we really need to see a solicitor?

It is often prudent to seek some form of legal advice as any type of family law related issue can be difficult, stressful and emotional. With the Government cutting the budget for Legal Funding the cost of legal proceedings are a very natural concern for most people and it is important that couples try to keep legal costs in proportion with the level of assets to be divided.

If your divorce involves children or any kind of financial agreement, we would strongly advise you to contact a family solicitor. A family solicitor can advise on whether the agreement you have reached with your partner is a reasonable financial settlement for you, and help you to make sure that all court documents are correctly completed and filed on time.

It is important that you find a family solicitor that you find comfortable to work with and who is always contactable. At Barker Gotelee our family solicitors recognise the emotional distress which a relationship breakdown can cause.

Our family solicitors are here to advise and guide you through a difficult time; to work with you to find a solution to the problem and, where possible, – to only use the court system as a last resort.

How much will a divorce cost me?

There are two elements to a divorce: the divorce order and the financial settlement.

The process of obtaining a divorce order is now completed online so the cost will depend on whether or not you use a solicitor to help you with the process. There is a petition fee payable to the Court regardless of who prepares the paperwork, though it may be possible to apply to the court for an exemption to this fee depending upon your financial circumstances.

The legal costs in dealing with the financial settlement will vary depending on the circumstances of the case including the level and nature of material assets and how amicable the couple are.

In any event it is always best to discuss your situation with a family solicitor who will be able to advise you on the likely costs for your matter, and will keep you apprised of the costs throughout the process.

My partner and I are not married. How long is it before I become his/her common law spouse/civil partner?

There is no such thing as a common law spouse/civil partner. You are considered in law to be cohabitees until you either marry or enter into a civil partnership. The law relating to cohabitees who are separating is different to that from a couple divorcing or ending a civil partnership. Our family solicitors can explain the difference and provide options for every situation.

I want to pass my business on to my children – do I need a family solicitor or a business solicitor?

There are few legal decisions that don’t also have an impact on a family member at some point – and making arrangements for your business after your death is no exception. Fortunately, Barker Gotelee are business solicitors as well as family solicitors – so we are ideally suited to talk you through both the business and the family implications of your situation.

My partner is refusing to let me see my children. How much contact should I have with them?

There are no precise rules as to how much contact should take place following a separation and it depends very much upon your circumstances. Family solicitors will always encourage couples to try and deal with the issue of contact on an amicable basis for the benefit of the children involved.

However our family solicitors at Barker Gotelee understand that this is not always possible and can provide appropriate advice and legal support whatever your situation.

Do you undertake legal aid work?

We do not offer legal aid at Barker Gotelee.

Family Solicitors Ipswich, Suffolk   – click here for more information on our legal services for couples and families.