Nick Palmer qualified as a solicitor in 2000 and has been a fully qualified member of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners since 2002. He joined Barker Gotelee in 2008 and was made a partner of the firm in 2014.
Nick specialises in:
- Wills, succession and asset protection planning
- The creation, taxation and management of Trusts
- Inheritance tax planning
- Care fees planning
- Powers of Attorney and Court of Protection matters
- Disputes in relation to the above areas
Nick also advises farmers, landowners, businesses and governmental bodies on EU law and policy.
Nick’s recent cases include:
- Transferring a farming business to the next generation tax efficiently
- Winding up an offshore settlement in favour of beneficiaries in and outside the UK
- Securing inheritance tax relief on a farming estate
- Obtaining a UK grant of probate in a contentious estate covering four jurisdictions
- Advising an adult child on an Inheritance Act claim
- Saving a house from being sold to pay for the cost of the owner’s residential care
- Inheritance tax planning for several generations of one family
- Advising on legal and tax issues where a daughter and her husband sold their home and moved in with her elderly father
- Obtaining an order from the Court of Protection authorising a gift to be made from a client’s US trust fund to her children
‘I thoroughly enjoy all aspects of my work and consider it very important on a number of levels for people to make proper arrangements for what is to happen after death. There is both emotional and financial security in knowing that you have properly provided for your loved ones and I enjoy the challenge of making sure that together we have explored all avenues’.
‘Over the past few years, Nick has worked on several aspects of will planning and inheritance tax for our family … He is professional, very approachable and extremely helpful.’
‘Many thanks for your assistance earlier, it is nice to speak to a solicitor who explains things in simple terms.’
Solicitors Ipswich Suffolk – for more information on our range of legal services, please contact us